Friday, September 4, 2009

ann tie-lore

I just got home and burst into tears.
I went to see Corey today to get keys and instructions for kitty sitting of VIV (Velvet Iris Velour) and Ernie this weekend. As i was leaving Corey asked me to try on a jacket. It's actually a black velvet blazer with 3 buttons and 3 pockets. I put one sleeve on and it felt suspiciously right, then my arm went through the other sleeve and i said, does it fit? And Corey stared at me, oh my god it fits. And i was like, oh my god nothing's ever fit this perfectly in my life. The sleeves felt a teeny bit too short but other than that it's perfect. Corey said he got it at a thrift shop and it doesn't fit him so he wondered if it would fit me. I told him my mom would LOVE this because she was always trying to get me to wear more of them. Like when i worked at Lord & Taylor i had to wear one every day and this made mom very happy. So Corey asked if i'd like to look in the mirror. So i did and said, wow, it totally fits and the way i always wished for a jacket or blazer to fit. I just gave away like 15 blazers and jackets that mom always wanted me to wear but that i didn't like, either the way they looked or fit. And she would argue with me that i was wrong, that they looked fine.
But this one is perfect, i love the color, the material, i would actually wear this. She always nagged me to wear more blazers with my jeans, so that i would look nice at work. She really pushed for it, it makes me laugh now. We would even look at beautiful expensive ones in department stores. She always had her 2 or 3 blazers that she wore all the time and she looked great. With her brooches and her scarves.

So i thanked Corey, took the bus home, passed the cemetery (which i didn't expect at all), read about death in "Broken Open" and cried, then bought a Subway sandwich and got home. I took the blazer out of the bag to hang up and since i had folded it inside out i caught a glimpse of the label as i was unfolding it. Ann Taylor Petites. That's mom, was my first thought. This is her. It would have fit her at the end of her life. It wouldn't have fit before but if it had she would have loved it.
Ann Tie-lore, in her soft accent is how i read it. We both loved Ann Taylor. But it has to be pronounced in Spanish. So i burst into tears because it's like my mom came to me in this chaqueta. It's like she was saying hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment